Nebraska Flag Football- Lincoln & Omaha

Nebraska Flag Football

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: $700+ to play football!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:02 pm 
Deal or not with the field price issue, with a little research and math, one can find out how much or maybe a ballpark number about how much the league pays for fields.

Last thing I'll say in this thread is that everything about the league has somewhat diminished in past seasons. The great years, and I'm sure I'll have a lot of guys agree with me, are when we had one competitive league and one intermediate league, no others. There were more teams and more competition. Not many guys even played for 2/3 teams like they do today.

Not sure what happened or if everyone just got old and stopped playing. I think the marketing aspect of the league needs a bump to get more guys to come out and play. Otherwise I fear that the league is gonna end soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:47 pm 
The refs are fine for the most part. Over the years there has been a couple that don't pay attention and don't even act like they care, but they typically don't last long and get replaced. We could have NFL referees out there and the same people that complain about refs every time they lose will still complain about the refs.

Now, about the price for playing - I'd have zero issue with the increase in price if the end product was better. Since I first started playing 5 years ago or so, that is not the case. In fact, the overall quality of the league has gone down since I started playing. We have less teams because the people running the league don't market whatsoever, despite having multiple people in the league say if you simply give me a flyer or something they would put it up at bars/gyms/YMCA's etc, yet we still don't do anything to improve. The fields are the same fields we've been playing on for years and that's fine by me, but I know you guys don't pay squat for the use of the fields, so just be up front and honest about it. The increase in fee for "supplied jerseys" is pretty weak considering in Lincoln over half the teams make their own jerseys.

My advice
1. Use this additional fee to do at least some sort of marketing. Pay someone 50 bucks to make a simple flyer, print 100 copies of it, and place them around Lincoln. More teams is more money in the league's pockets, so I don't get why the league is getting smaller and smaller each season and nobody really cares.
2. Look into getting better fields. If you are going to increase the price, seriously consider trying to utilize an artificial turf field or a nicer complex (Sporting Village behind Good Life for example).

I know personally a decent number of people that stopped playing simply because the league's made zero effort to improve the overall product. Most people are realistic and don't have ridiculous expectations, but it should be fair to want to see improvement over the years.

Super Saiyans #2
Sunday's Best #2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:06 pm 

Team: Willy Faction
Player: 18
To add to Tyler's comments. Fewer people are playing because the cost has gone up as well. I wouldn't anticipate any college kids paying $70 bucks a piece to play a season of Flag Football. This is exactly why the league is getting "old". That and no marketing is exactly why we don't have any new teams year in and year out. Until Lincoln makes it back over 30 teams we should only have two divisions. If necessary and there is a bunch of intermediate teams going 2-8 or less create a third playoff bracket with those teams, so they can at least attempt to win something, make them feel good about themselves and come back to play another season. Exactly like they do in slow pitch softball.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:42 am 
In all honestly if we just got legit artificial turf fields and advertisied around town the league would blow up, I would bet anything on that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:10 am 
adamcnfr44 wrote:
In all honestly if we just got legit artificial turf fields and advertisied around town the league would blow up, I would bet anything on that.

The problem with turf fields is you'd need a large enough turf area that can support 2-3 fields, and the only spot I know of around Lincoln is the Vine fields owned by UNL.

Also, the league would actually have to pay a reasonable amount for those fields and not be able to pocket most all of the team fees. Wouldn't want that :D

Super Saiyans #2
Sunday's Best #2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:44 pm 
No there is also the sporting village fields both indoor and out door. They may have soccer leagues on sundays but they don't use all the fields. But even Abbott should be looked into. I know they are redeveloping the majority of it but they still have good fields that are better than we currently play on and open for use. So far I have not seen any justification for the price hikes and the jerseys are a cop out since we use to be able to get them before for less.