Nebraska Flag Football- Lincoln & Omaha

Nebraska Flag Football

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ref Fee's and Stat Keeping, Post Rulebook sticky
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:35 am 
So I've read all this stuff about the refs and mismanagement of the league and all that stuff. So I have a few thing I would like to say. I've been playing in this league for about 7-8 years now. I have seen the decline and rise and decline again of ref quality. I used to ref, I didn't think I was a bad ref but it is difficult to watch absolutely everything! Part of the reason why I left was because of some d-bags that would play and constantly complain. Another reason was because of the shortage of refs when I would ref, I would be out at the fields the entire day on Sunday. I do agree that the ref situation needs to be looked at and I hope that league management will re-evaluate that in future seasons.

The one ref situation, the rule has always been, and this year too, if there is only one ref, he gets $5 less from each team. It was the same rule when we paid $15, and its the same now. We had a game this year and we paid $5 less and everything worked out.

I do have another problem with something in this league. We have 3... I'll say again... 3 INTERMEDIATE LEAGUES!! I don't understand why that is. I remember when it was just Competitive and Intermediate. I think we need to somehow go back to that format. I get that the competition between some A-B teams is a big gap, and I also get that there is a gap between some A-Comp teams. Didn't even realize we had a C league or Rec league this year. It isn't fun, especially in the playoffs, when there are only 4 teams in your league. I have a suggestion or two about how to fix this.

Why don't we have a format like Parks and Rec does for playoffs. All teams are grouped into 2 leagues, Competitive and Intermediate. Teams play each other throughout the season and at the end they are evaluated and based on scores and plus/minus, teams are then put into the prospective playoff leagues. I definitely know this would have more work but we pay a lot of money for this league, more than what teams pay for Parks and Rec sports, I think we can spruce shit up a little bit.

I'll get off my soap box now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:35 am 
Love it! Good thoughts Bowder 10!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:53 pm 
Great idea bowder. I've been saying since I started playing years ago that there should only be two divisions. I've advocated for that forever and told Wyatt, but for whatever reason we now have A B and C. Pretty sure I even posted in the spring how there should be one intermediate division but it just falls on deaf ears. Hopefully next spring they can make some changes because right now we shouldn't even have two intermediate divisions, let alone 3.

Super Saiyans #2
Sunday's Best #2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:32 pm 
The problem is players sharing teams. It'll force choosing, which is fine, but it may lead to teams disbanding which loses money for the league. There's more than a few cases of "we'd move up but we'll lose *insert player (s)* because him/they play in the league above" . That might actually be a good thing though since it might even up the teams a bit and add parity. We all know it's been a problem between A/B and A/Comp. Adding a C only promoted this problem as it caused A to thin out and left B over saturated.

Honestly we need more advertising outside Facebook. When Nick ran the league, he was all over bars/campus with fliers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:35 pm 
I agree with two leagues. Competitive and intermediate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:14 am 
Yeah I know JT and DJ will both agree with me. When you run the League reffing is a bitch. It is by far the hardest thing to get organized and get done right. I was lucky and had a pretty good crew of guys that reffed nearly full time with me. Bowder, Cody, Wisseman, Lucas, Marsh, and then a few others that were more part time available.

But even when we had what I would say were well reffed games, people still complain because you can't catch everything. Even so there is a big difference between the occasional missed call and flat out getting rules wrong etc.

As a captain if you are actually concerned with a ruling. Print out a rule book and keep it in your bag.

http://nebflagfootball.com/leagueoffice.php5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:20 pm 
thank you for the link, posted it. hopefully it gets stickied.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:55 am 
Idk I didn't think it was that bad. However I spent a lot of time during the week preparing for each Sunday.
I think I had a total of two or three games in two seasons that there was only one ref. I was a big stickler for that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:37 pm 
Our team alone has had just one ref for the majority of the game like 3 times now this season

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:35 pm 
We have too. In those scenarios, you just have to level with the ref and help them out by not being a jerk. Our games with 1 ref have been fine. Our team has the motto: "do everything to keep the result of the game out of the refs control".