Nebraska Flag Football- Lincoln & Omaha

Nebraska Flag Football

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Weather Situation on 5/17
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:13 am 
Site Admin
Hi league,

I hate this weather this Spring, but today we're going to try to push forward. It looks like the weather is going to be beautiful today, but it's been raining for 5 days straight, so earlier today there was standing water on the field. But we're going to bet it dries up by mid day. That said here is the plan:

We are forced to cancel the 9:30 and 10:30 games today. But we are going to try to play the rest of them out. Hopefully this plan works out, but in the case that it doesn't we are going to send out more information later today if more games need to be removed.

How we can possibly fix this: In Lincoln, we've found a situation where we are able to play wet games at a secondary location that isn't as concerned with their field. We've still had to cancel with all the lightning, but it gives us flexibility when it's just a bit damp. It obviously isn't as nice as the fields in Omaha, but would give us a plan B site for days when wet. If any of you know of such a location, please relay that information to me and our team will go take a look. I just hate that we've had to miss so many games, as you guys know, that isn't typical for us, this Spring has been brutal.

Also we will be extending the season 1 week at this point and trying to make up what we can, through that point, especially as some teams have now missed as many as two games more than the others. Pray for sunshine guys.

Wyatt

Post subject: Re: Weather Situation on 5/17
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:21 am 
So we play at 1030 today and have a double header the next week are we gonna get our 10 games in than? If not you need to seriously think of a refund or a way to get us our ten games. An alternative field could be Bryan high school I talked to the A.D already he said give him a call.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:43 am 
I understand we are trying to make all the whiners happy, demanding refunds for a couple of canceled games, but it's a lot more inconvenient to leave it in the air of possibly having games in the afternoon. It's not like after a certain date in june it's impossible to add games to the season is it? Just call the games and add another week or have double headers. More than a few guys don't live in the omaha metro and now have to make the drive just in case there's a game. ...

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:18 am 
Let's kind of chill out with the "whiners" talk. Teams pay a good chunk of money for league dues and jerseys, so I can understand why people are getting upset.

With that being said, there are a couple of things that I think need to be done to help rectify the situation:

1-My biggest beef about this isn't the cancellation, as much as it is the timeliness of the communication. I think a decision could have been made a lot earlier. My team had a 9:30am game, and I didn't get notified until I was nearly at the fields. I also ref, so I think if I didn't get a blast text message from the field manager telling all the refs, I would have made it to the fields from my house, which is around 192nd and Q-ish. I was up at 7:00am, checked my e-mail and the website, and didn't hear anything until the communication went to the refs. With all due respect, this could have been decided a lot earlier, and I hope that the league will start collecting cell numbers of all the team captains to send out a blast text to everyone. The communication of this was less than stellar, to say the least.

2-I like the idea of alternate fields, but why is this being looked into now instead of prior to the season? It seems like we have enough time in between sessions to secure two (or maybe more) field locations. I understand that this comes out of the league's pocket, but I think it's doable. A lot of us team captains and refs have been around for a while we're we can help out with stuff like this. Just ask us prior to the season. I can understand with only one or two people running the league, along with having a normal life outside of it, it can be daunting. But there are people that would be willing to help that would have some great input.

3-I appreciate extending the season by a week, but would it help to have games for a four hour block or so next Saturday for teams that can make it happen? I don't know how popular a decision this would be, but I think a few teams could make it happen, and some of the refs should be able to make it, too. It wouldn't hurt to ask. We had the same problems last spring, and it seemed like the session went nearly into July. I love flag football, but the spring session just dragged on too long. Maybe we should ask some of the team captains and refs if Saturday games in a three or four hour block can work.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:05 am 
Ok maybe whiners was far, but all i see is guys demandung refunds because of a cancelation. We are only promised 9 season games and if we get 9 games in somehow some way than what difference does it make. But i do agree with the timetable comment. I'm coming from another city and have to leave add early as 2 hours before game time sometimes. These last 2 weeks have been more than an inconvenience for most of us. But we aren't missing game checks, we all love to play and as long add we get our 9 games and playoffs in we shouldn't demand refunds

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:43 am 
And if there is "standing water" on the field by waiting two hours won't dry it out that's just an excuse the fields will be destroyed by 4 so you're not saving the field any by waiting two hours so that is an ignorant thing to say

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:43 pm 
I don't disagree with pretty much everything you said. In a spring league, unless we play on feild turf or indoors this is bound to happen. And as far as where the money goes, until there's a better/different league, or we all refuse to pay, its something we will have to deal with if we want to play in a flag football league. Or At least i haven't found any other options. This whole season has been a bust. Let's hope the weather cooperates, and we will have to see what happens with this league if we want to keep playing with more of the same

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:51 pm 
Did you drive up here to have your game canceled? I heard nothing was done on the field? And no one was there

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:58 pm 
I understand that the fields are free that we play on. But maybe with the extra money we should look at renting a place that wouldn't care. Hell I would even go back to field by 42nd and Q where we played before. Or even before that Zorinsky. This is getting ridiculous my team is pissed and almost wants to just quit. I guess people could start there own league. And see if anybody wants to join that one.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:52 pm 
That is about where my team is too. This is getting ridiculous. And with nothing said other than add another week doesn't sit well with my team since we've already missed 3 weeks. So by that we still miss out on two games we payed for.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next