Nebraska Flag Football- Lincoln & Omaha

Nebraska Flag Football

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dragon Award
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:10 am 
I feel like we should just take down the whole Dragon Award thing this year since the stats are not only 2 or 3 games behind but just wrong all together

Post subject: Re: Dragon Award
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:28 pm 
Site Admin
Stats are and always will be off for teams who's captains don't keep up on them. For others they are typically fine.

But the stats have been especially off with all of the rain and weather this season. We just don't have an effective way to take stats or keep them when it is pouring rain out.

Dragon Award will always be up, but we definitely will be doing MVPs this season. I'd be interested in hearing who people like for MVPs of each division?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:43 am 
I know for a fact that's not true. Every week I check our team stats and every week I send you an email to fix said stats and every week you say "ok we will fix them" and EVERY week the stats don't get fixed... And when some stats do get fixed other stats don't. You can't argue that I'm wrong because we have email evidence of it being true.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:49 am 
In fact our QBs stats went literally 3 weeks without being represented. I definitely don't care about winning the dragon award because I'm an offensive lineman but when you as a league promise stats... You should do it. So to blame the captains is wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:58 am 
Yeah when I have a good game I know to check the stats on the board and I show 3 ints total when I know I'm in double digits and I've seen them tallied on the sheet but never loaded. I know these guys don't take it as serious as a job but when we pay this much for a league I'm not sure what we're getting back. Obviously the only thing we control completely is how we play but even that has failed by a "new ref" in a wife beater that doesn't know what time-out means and allowed the game clock to run out when we were at the 1 yd line and called out last time out. Thanks for the reply I just think if the MVP is offered then the stats should be a much higher priority. Look at the totals of tackles yards and tds and you tell me if you think a whole game of football could have even occurred. It's not hard you just have to not be stoned and pay attention.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:56 pm 
Site Admin
There was an error with your QB stats this season Dj's Dugout, we still aren't sure why it wasn't showing, but it should be fixed.

I find it hard to believe a ref didn't even know what Timeout was, but ok, we definitely agree a ref so incompetent that he doesn't know what timeout is, is pretty terrible, highly highly unlikely, but pretty terrible.

But MVP isn't based off of stats, the Dragon Award is calculated, but MVP is just based off of who people think the best player, or most important player is. That's why we try to do both a MVP and Dragon Award this season. Should be able to represent both schools of thought.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:31 pm 
Site Admin
I just couldn't believe that DJ's Dugouts stats are still off, so I went and looked at them manually myself and the emails we received and I wanted to make a post. Let me help you guys out a bit with getting all of your stats updated, I know they are very important to a lot of people, so we try to help out as much as possible.

From what I can see they have changed every request that you made that was specific to a game. I actually believe the problem here is resulting from the way you are email in the updates, which is causing problems. The stat enters could of solved this problem by emailing you back some clarification on the issue, so i apologize, but they do go through a number of requests each week, and it seems like only a few people ever have an issue.

We went over this at the Captains Meeting, but here is a good example of a good stat update email, and one that may need work, and why . . . (just an example not specific to any team)

Example email "Please fix our stats, they are off. Our blitzer 27 needs 1 more sack on the season and is missing a tackle. Chris had 1 more touchdown too I believe. "

This is bad, because all stat updates need to be specific to a game. We don't aggregate stats manually, we add them to a specific game, as you can see in the stats on the website and as we mentioned at the Captains Meeting. Also it is so hard for the stat keeper to tie in names to players and we tell them not to make assumptions because it just extra clogs everything up.

Here is an example of how that same information can be conveyed to give us a reasonable chance to actually fix any mistakes . . .

"Hi, my name is Joe Joseph captain of Touchdown Stairs. I noticed our stats are off and wanted an update. on 6/8 vs MicroBrew, #4 needs one more tackle, and #26 needs an interception. Also I think on 5/11 our QB #13 is missing a TD, we had 3 Receiving TD's, but he only shows 2 TDs thrown."

In this example all the information needed to update the stats is available. All players numbers are given and the dates of the changes needed are included. But we are literally getting 15-20 of these each cycle and without the actual information needed to make the changes, there is little that can be done to fix the issue.

I know that 99% of the captains get this stuff, and never have any issues, but I think it's important to keep going over it, because I recognize that if you are in that 1% and send in a request and it doesn't get changed, it can be very extremely frustrating. In the long term I really want to create a simple webform to fill out, so that we can just make sure all the needed information is in there and we can make it easier for you guys.

The next issue that has plagued this season in a few ways is RAIN. Rain makes it very difficult to do anything related to stats. Last week for example (6/22) the rain absolutely devestated the stat sheets and they were all destroyed, but in addition to that it has rained in some capacity in 7 of the 10 weeks so far this season which makes the stats very inconsistent especially because in most of the weeks the rain has been inconsistent through the day. That said, in an instance where there is a rain game, or a week with a ton of rain, we just ask you to email us the date, team, team vs, and stats and we'll still enter them in for you, I know a lot of people like to keep track.

More helpful things with stats, while I'm on the subject. One critical thing that also allows stats to be taken easier and thus translate easier is numbers on your jerseys every week and the correct ones. There is a strong correlation between accurate stats and numbers on your jersey (which are technically required), obviously stats are taken by numbers so without jersey numbers for each player, stats can get off. This is fixable still, just shoot us an email or correct them at the end of your games and we'll go through and update anything that could be fixed.

P.S. Feel free to email us today with more stat updates, we are still working on getting Omaha's in and will get them entered as soon as we can this week (as always shooting for Wednesday).

Again, for anyone reading this, wondering why I am writing so much to explain these things, I know that the vast majority of you do these things when needed and get the things fixed that are off if you care to do so, but I just want to make sure that everyone is on the same page as to how to deal with this, as some people do have an issue with getting things adjusted.

Wyatt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:11 am 
Cool. I would also like to say I think it's pretty cool that you guys do an MVP based on votes.