Nebraska Flag Football- Lincoln & Omaha

Nebraska Flag Football

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Field Improvements?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:41 am 
I know we're limited in field locations and all, but after yesterday's games, I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to get more grass on the fields between the spring and fall seasons, or maybe fall and spring. I know the league puts in a lot of time on these things, but is there something that can be done? Is anyone else wiling to donate a few dollars to get some seed put down or something? I'm just worried that the fields will be so torn up that they'll not get any better. I also know can't expect to play on a perfect field or under a dome, but is anyone else willing to chip in and help (if there is anything we can do)?

Post subject: Re: Field Improvements?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:55 pm 
Site Admin
The issue isn't seed, its time. We play Spring and Fall. In the Winter the field doesn't do a great job of repairing itself, and it's even worse in the Summer.

What we need, is to have two field locations. One for the Fall and a different for the Spring, so that we can let the field get some water and rest and the grass to take root. I've been asking teams to look around, but the few that have tried haven't been able to find anything.

If you'd like to help, what would be the best, would be to find us another location in West, South West or South Omaha, that has room for three fields or more. . . I know they must exist somewhere else, and if you can find them, you'd be the league hero.

Let's go gentlemen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 pm 
Agree with the above comment. I've been playing in the league since the very beginning, our team has played on at least 6 different fields over that time. What matters most though is the competition and being able to play football every Sunday with friends. Something that I think goes unnoticed is the growth of the league, it's tripled in size and that's a great thing. I know I will personally be making calls this summer to see about different fields. I'll gather options and submit it to the league. Anyone else complaining should do the same.

I think this league will only get better with time in Omaha, the demand is there. I have complete confidence in Wyatt to make the right moves to keep this league growing and making it better each season.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:29 am 
a suggestion maybe papillion like seymour park using there soccer fields... i dont play soccer so i dont know what time of the year they are used but if we can find that out that may work for fall or spring

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:28 pm 
I appreciate the constructive conversation. I'm not trying to slam the league by any means, I'm trying to see if there is anything we can do to improve the field conditions. I'm also hardly a grass/field/turf expert, but I think this is a great starting point to move forward in a positive direction.
I would be more than happy to help find a new location, and I think one field for fall and another for spring is a great idea. With that being said, I have a few questions in mind:
-Are any permits required for locations at a city park?
-In the past, what have been the challenges when trying to secure fields?
-Is it necessary to have all three divisions play in the same location? Does the league have enough officials (refs) to where two or maybe three different locations on the same day?
-Have there been any locations the league has been "blacklisted" from being able to play?
-Would any of the other teams be interested in getting together with the league management to help out? Maybe form some sort of committee?

I'm sure there are other questions/concerns, but I want to offer my help. Like the rest of the players, I really enjoy getting out and being able to play on Sundays. I also think there should be responsibility on some of us to help out when needed instead of just letting it all boil down to one person.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:35 pm 
Site Admin
So essentially to your point, there is no limitations. Any special permits we'd need, we'd be willing to go get. Although depending on the area, business, park, or location, there is likely a completely different process for getting the field. For now we'll need the entire league at one location.

Here are the requirements:
In West, South West or South Omaha.
Has room for 3 fields.
Allows us to still provide the league at a lower costs, so many can participate ( so nothing way overpriced, but I'd be willing to consider any offer.)

But we don't actually even need you guys to dig that deep, if you don't want to. Just post us any location that you see, or find, or know of, that meet the requirements above, and one of us will go figure out if its doable. Might even shoot you a prize for the assist.

I'm glad a few of you are interested in helping, I look forward to hearing some possible site locations as you find them. Thanks.