Nebraska Flag Football- Lincoln & Omaha

Nebraska Flag Football

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Field Rental
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:22 am 
For the fall season the league needs to move the games to new fields. We are only three weeks into the season and the fields are packed down, pitted, bare dirt. It is not safe and it creates a poor game environment. Based off of my calculations there is plenty of money to find better fields. I have been playing in the league since the first season at Lake Zorinsky when the fields were at least somewhat playable and safe.

Below is the estimated P&L that I came up with. This is only for the spring season.

Revenue $18,900 (Only 42 teams pay since the champions from the prior year receive free registration)

Expenses
Jerseys $3,000
Web Hosting $100
Insurance $1,500
Field Rental $1,800
Other $500

Total Expenses $6,900

Total Profit $12,000

I would like to see some of the profit reinvested in renting better fields. I'm sure a majority of players in the league would gladly trade game stats for better fields.

Post subject: Re: Field Rental
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:37 pm 
I'm not gonna get into the accounting, but I agree we absolutely need better fields. The current fields are not sustainable. This will cost money, but I'm sure more revenue is possible. Based on the amount of teams and people I see every Sunday, there is an opportunity missed with concessions. Couple that with a slightly higher entry fee, we should be able to find safer, better maintained fields.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:55 am 
The Zorinsky fields sucked ass!!! Even as tore up as the current fields are they are better. I think the current fields have held up fairly well for 4 straight seasons. Plus a very very wet spring season last year. Maybe a season away from the Hitchcock fields wouldn't hurt. I like the location and that there is room for 3 fields at Hitchcock. One thing I personally would like to see is the league needs to get more/ new flags. The current ones are getting old and broken. Other than that I am happy with things as they are.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:55 pm 
The Zorinsky fields were at least level so you didn't have to play the slope of the field.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:17 pm 
No they weren't! There were multiple spots at Zorinsky that were dips or hills. And there was no grass to speak of. Just weeds.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:18 pm 
I agree that the fields are pretty crappy, not surprising after 4 seasons. I think more goes into field rentals then we would think, and it's hard to get them for flag football.
One option I would like to look at is renting out http://www.omahasportscomplex.com/ off 147 & Giles. I have played 5v5 there and it's so much nicer playing on the indoor turf. I am sure it would be a lot more expensive. I would gladly pay extra, but I know it's hard enough to get the $375 from everyone as it is.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:57 pm 
Site Admin
Lets see if I can address your concerns,

Your estimations of "P&L" are way off, there is a lot of other expenses that you haven't considered. Flags, printing, marketing, etc. Also your estimations on income are bad, I'm not really sure how you came up with those numbers. If you add in jersey costs, it comes to 435 a team, which is a lot less then what you estimated, plus your jersey estimates are really far off, we actually pay for a lot of the jersey costs for the teams to keep it affordable. You haven't considered staffing, or league prizes, or events as well. Which makes sense, there is no reason you'd have any concept of it really, it all looks very easy to do from the outside looking in, which means we're probably doing a pretty good job of things.

Zorinsky is a silly comparison, it only had room for one field, can't go back there. The league is too big now and these fields were way nicer then those when we started playing here a few seasons back. We agree that we'd like to get a different field location, but the reality is that we can't find one. In the perfect scenario we'd play Fall and Spring on different sites so that the field could rest, as now we play Spring, it's too hot for a rest in the Summer, then we play fall and it's too cold to grow in the winter.

But all that doesn't really matter because I can't find a site large enough for us to play on in the South, Southwest, or West part of Omaha (Where most of our teams are). Last season I had two different guys call me up and ask if they could find us a new site and if I'd be ok with that, and I told them both yes. They spent the winter looking around and didn't come up with any feasible solutions. But like I said to them, I will say to the entire league, if you find me a better option to play on, that has room for at least three fields and is in West, SouthWest or South Omaha, then I will move us there for one of the seasons (Fall or Spring). I'd love your help in finding it.

What field sites do you suggest though, I assume you had an idea before you pulled out an accounting book :lol:? I'd gladly go check them out. If they're nice, I'd even consider moving us mid season! Lets do it. For us, the field issue was never about the money, I wish it was, because that would mean we at least had other options, right now we don't have any other options that meet are pretty basic criteria. But like I said, I hope everyone is always keeping an eye out, and give us a holler if you find one.

Omaha Sports Complex is a great example of what it'd mean to just move to a location, lets evaluate the option. A. they have room for one field, so they aren't even actually a feasible option, but pretending they were willing to build an addition on and give us room and the whole day Sunday to play in there (hey, it could happen. Ya never know. :roll: ). Then it would cost about $2880 per team to play in there for a season, using their current rates posted on their website. So . . . to put that in perspective, we'd have to increase league fees about $325 per person (not per team, per PERSON), in order to play there, if they were willing to build us a completely new facility to add on to theirs, and were willing to let us have the entire field from morning to night on Sundays. Buuuuuut, I definitely considered it and would consider any site, and would love some help. So please guys, help us out, call around, get a quote on prices, location and size of fields, and please post them on here, or text me, or email the league and we'll definitely go check them out, we'd love to find a new site. Like I said, you find us a nice, feasible site, and we'll move mid season. I'm all for that, hell yeah, lets do it.

Thanks.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]