Nebraska Flag Football- Lincoln & Omaha

Nebraska Flag Football

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rule question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:11 pm 
hey today my team was told they were not allowed to wear shorts with pockets we have played for 3 seasons and have never had this rule brought up, before our team goes to buy shorts without pockets we want to make sure this rule will be enforced

Post subject: Re: rule question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:02 pm 
I can't recall seeing it in the rulebook, but I do know it was brought up to at least my team during our first season (last fall). When I played flag football in college, I saw a guy dislocate his finger pulling for a flag and he got it caught in a pocket.
Maybe the legaue will allow you to tape up the pockets.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:09 am 
I have worn shorts with pockets for all of my 5 seasons and never once was I told not to wear them.

Direct from the Rulebook:

4. Pants / Shorts - Each player must wear pants or shorts without any belt(s), belt loop(s), or exposed drawstrings. The pants or shorts must be a different color than the flags.

I don't see anything about pockets...... :?:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:50 am 
yeah the ref at our game said it is a rule id just like to know if he was wrong or if this is some brand new rule

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:08 am 
Site Admin
At Universities they typically have this rule, this isn't a rule that we have ever enforced at the NFFL. Possibly there was an issue with a short with a large pocket space so huge it was seen to be an issue with the flag pulling situation, but there is no blanket rules prohibiting shorts with pockets.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:25 pm 
I believe if safety is the number rule then this should be enforced. No pockets on shorts. It's been discussed now so to prevent any further issues might be smart to take actions now ;) just my opinion...doesn't mean must at all

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:40 pm 
CBrown wrote:
I believe if safety is the number rule then this should be enforced. No pockets on shorts. It's been discussed now so to prevent any further issues might be smart to take actions now ;) just my opinion...doesn't mean must at all

I have never once had a "safety issue" with pockets on shorts or pants. Until it is a rule ill continue to wear mine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:47 pm 
bqw1982 wrote:
CBrown wrote:
I believe if safety is the number rule then this should be enforced. No pockets on shorts. It's been discussed now so to prevent any further issues might be smart to take actions now ;) ju
st my opinion...doesn't mean must at all

I have never once had a "safety issue" with pockets on shorts or pants. Until it is a rule ill continue to wear mine.

not sure i told you to stop wearing buddy ;) you keep doing what you do within the rules. i can't nor did i try to tell you not to wear them. i hope you continue to be safe and enjoy your nffl experience

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:53 pm 
Will you inform your refs that shorts don't have to be pocket free because our ref was trying to enforce a rule that doesn't exist