Nebraska Flag Football- Lincoln & Omaha

Nebraska Flag Football

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Downfield Laterals???
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:01 pm 
I noticed a couple teams lateraling like crazy all the way down the field. I'm not really a big fan of this because it changes the game from football to rugby-ish. Forget plays and strategy, just throw a short pass and start lateraling all the way across the field and back.

If you fumble a down field lateral it is called a dead ball, right? Do you actually get to keep possession of the ball? If so, then there is really no risk (other than an intercepted lateral) to lateral the ball like mad.

A fumble behind the line of scrimmage (bobbled snap / dropped handoff or pitch) is a dead ball and you keep possession... understandable. But, a down field fumble/dropped lateral should be a turnover, in my opinion.

I think that would make laterals a little more risky and make the game more like football.

One of the reasons teams don't lateral every play in "real" football is the risk of a turnover/fumble. If that risk doesn't exist, then it changes the whole game.

Any thoughts???

Post subject: Re: Downfield Laterals???
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:39 pm 
I personally love the fact that teams can lateral the ball at all times. My team didn't utilize it that much until our last game and it paid off. Defenses that get too bunched up are toast when a well executed lateral is used.

As far as fumbles from lateraling, there really isn't much of argument in my opinion. To ensure the safety of the players it is a dead ball once it hits the ground. Who's to say that the offense wouldn't recover the fumble if they were allowed to go after it? Like you said if the ball is caught by the defense on the lateral it is obviously a turnover but other than that there is too much gray area.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:53 pm 
That's flag football for ya. It's a good option to use for the very reason you said, it's a dead ball once it hits the ground. I know it's not utilized in "real' football, but flag football is not "real" football. You have to almost think of it as a different sport entirely.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:26 am 
Teams lateral quite a bit in real football as well. An option is a lateral, and I'd bet there is more laterals in an Oregon or Georgia Tech game then in most flag football games. But obviously a lateral is more careless in flag football because it is dead if it hits the ground. Laterals are tough to guard if the offense has more guys hustling then the defense, but if the defense is out hustling the offense, lots of laterals won't work in their favor.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:01 am 
Laterals happen alot in the backfield in real football, not so much downfield (On an option, yeah... but, not just randomly after a run or catch). I just feel like the risk should be greater.

But, I understand how flag football is a different sport. I guess it's time to get our rugby game on!!! Overhand laterals from sideline to sideline oughta stretch out the defense!